Indivisible Baltimore is focusing its canvassing efforts on flipping the PA-1 congressional district blue in the upcoming 2018 election. In canvassing trips over the summer, members of Indivisible Baltimore and Sister District Maryland have already knocked on over 3,000 doors in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Join us in the fight to take back Congress by signing up to canvass in PA-1 and flip this district blue!
- PA-1 (Bucks County, just northeast of Philadelphia) is the closest “toss-up” Congressional district. It’s a little over a two-hour drive from Baltimore.
- Hillary Clinton narrowly carried this district by 2 points in 2016, but the district is currently represented by a Republican.
- PA has critical races for Governor and Senator this year.
- There are eight competitive state legislative districts entirely within PA-1.
Who are the candidates?
The Democratic challenger is first-time candidate Scott Wallace.
- As counsel to the US Senate Judiciary Committee and the US Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs, Scott helped write legislation to protect homeless youth and compensate Vietnam veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange.
- For the past 20 years, he ran a charitable foundation that focused on fighting climate change, advancing women’s rights, protecting voting rights, and getting corporate money out of politics.
- He’s running on a progressive platform that includes Medicare for All and he is unabashedly pro-choice and pro-gun control.
The incumbent is first-term Republican Brian Fitzpatrick.
- The Fitzpatrick family is well-known and popular locally. Brian’s brother, Mike, previously represented Bucks County in Congress.
- He presents himself as a moderate, but is a fairly conventional Republican and has voted with Trump and McConnell 84% of the time.
- He voted for the GOP tax bill that repealed the individual mandate and gutted the ACA.
What can you do?
- We are canvassing every weekend between now and Election Day (11/6) and we are especially targeting the following dates: Saturday, 9/8; Sunday, 9/23; Saturday, 10/13; Saturday, 10/27.
- We organize carpools and can pair new canvassers with experienced ones.
- If you are interested in canvassing with us, email us at email@example.com or fill out this form.